Friday, March 29, 2013

Better For You Chocolate Fudge (tofu) Pie


I'm very much a last minute, procrastinator person. Which is odd, because I can't stand procrastinators...
It's not that I mean to be, or want to be unorganized and not plan things, but I do much better last minute.

A friend and I had to make food for a baby shower last weekend, and we didn't decide what we were making til the morning before. '


I do my best work under pressure, what can I say?


Those people that plan things months in advance, and have everything all ready to go the day of an event or what not- I envy them. But, you know, that's just not me... I like the thrill of living on the edge. Or something of that nature.


So, all that to say, I had made this pie in pi day like, 3 weeks ago. Not that that has anything to do with procrastinating, but.....well, yeah, I guess it does.

I had originally intended to share this pie with you ON Pi day. But since I didn't, now all you plan ahead people can plan to make this pie for pi day NEXT year. See what I did there?

Honestly though, Jon didn't believe me that this was a tofu based pie. Which makes me sad. Poor tofu has such a bad rep. So don't be fooled by the fact that this has the stuff in it. You won't know. No one will know. Cross my heart.

It tastes so decadent and rich and is amazingly creamy. I topped ours with coconut milk whipped cream to.
Yes, that was a good day.



Better For You Chocolate Fudge Pie
(Adapted slightly from:Chocolate Covered Katie)

13 oz firm tofu
1 tsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. Almond Milk
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 cup raw honey or agave nectar
1 1/2 cups Ghiardelli semi sweet chocolate chips

In a small pan, stir the chocolate chips over low heat until right before they are completely melted.
Turn off heat, and continue to stir til smooth.



Combine all ingredients (including melted chocolate) in a food processor or Ninja, and blend for a minute or so until completely smooth.

You can either pour directly into a pie plate and refrigerate until firm or if you are using a crust, pour into  completely cooled crust.



I used THIS crust recipe. Any will do though!

For the coconut milk whipped cream:
1 can FULL FAT coconut milk
1 Tbsp. sugar (or more depending on your tastebuds)
1 tsp. vanilla

Place coconut milk in your fridge overnight, or at least 6 hours.
It will get very thick.
Scoop out the thick, creamy deliciousness off the top, and leave the liquidy stuff on the bottom behind.


In a mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the cream for 30 seconds on high.
Add sugar and vanilla.
Whip for another minute or so until you have a light fluffy, whipped cream texture.



Serve with your pie and enjoy heaven on a plate!











No comments:

Post a Comment