Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Paleo Coconut Lemon Bars



I have been really into lemon these days. Just can't get enough of the stuff!
I tend to go through food phases- not unlike every other person on this world, correct? Another obsession being mustard. 
Any kind, straight from the bottle. 
I just can't help myself when left alone with a bottle of the stuff...this is not weird.

My (mostly) Paleo experiments these days have been pretty successful, which is exciting, and it hasn't been nearly as scary or difficult as I thought it would be to be creative and somewhat inventive! I've actually had a lot of fun with it!

So I made these paleo lemon bars today to satisfy a fierce lemon dessert desire.

They are a little different than the traditional lemon bar, in that the crust isn't your typical shortbread crust. It's more heavy, because it's made with almonds. It also has a slight coconut taste because of the coconut oil...so if you despise coconut, you probably wont really like these.

I halved my recipe, but this is the full 8x12" pan version.



Paleo Coconut Lemon Bars
Filling:
6 whole eggs
1/2 cup raw, organic honey
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup lemon juice 
Unsweetened shredded coconut (for topping, but optional)

Crust:
Pre-heat oven to 400.
2 cups raw almonds
1/4 cup raw, organic honey
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
2 organic eggs

For the filling:
Whisk together eggs, honey and lemon juice in a pan. Add in coconut oil and turn heat up to medium high and whisk constantly until filling is thickened and bubbling.
Pour mixture into a bowl and refrigerate until the crust is done and cooled completely.

For the crust:
Place almonds in a food processor and grind until they are small chunks. You do not want them in a powder.
Melt coconut oil, and mix honey and eggs with oil.
Stir in almonds.
Pour mixture into greased pan. (I greased mine with coconut oil)
Bake for 15-18 minutes.

Allow crust to cool completely before pouring filling on top, and sprinkling with coconut.

Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before cutting.



Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment