Thursday, March 1, 2012

Butterscotch Peanut Butter Cake


Happy March!


Yesterday was a good day.
It snowed, my husband stayed home, and we got to just relax and hang out as a family.
My daughter was being extra cute, too...so that was a bonus.


I've had this stinking bag of butterscotch chips in my house for a really long time now, and have been wanting to do something with them besides make oatmeal butterscotch cookies or whatever. 


I wanted to do something new and exciting.


Mission accomplished! Well, I don't know about the exciting part, but the new part, yes!


And the yummy factor was way off the charts. My husband had a piece after dinner. And said 'Wow- I just want to eat the whole thing!'


That means you should make this...But don't eat too much frosting like I did.


I couldn't stop myself. I'm salivating as we speak. I love frosting.


No, like really. I love frosting. Sometimes I make it, just to eat it. Without cake.


Yesterday I ate enough frosting to frost about 16 pieces of cake.
And as I was complaining about how my jeans were never ever going to fit me again, my husband dear tried consoling me by reminding me it was okay cause I went running! 


Ha.


Thanks babe, but I don't think running a lame 2 1/2 miles is going to make a dent in the 5 cups of frosting I consumed.
But then I remembered yesterday was leap day!
A.K.A: Calories don't count day!
That was a close one- My jeans now fit again and i'm back to being not obese.




I don't know why, but I never thought of combining butterscotch and peanut butter before yesterday. It was genius I tell you!


Go make cake on this snowy day. Do it now, and don't regret it. Even if you eat too much frosting and lick too much batter. I won't judge.




Butterscotch Peanut Butter Cake
Pre-heat oven to 350.
Grease and flour to 9" round cake pans.



  • 1 Bag butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 egg yolk
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 (1/2 cup) Butter at room temp.
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 water
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
For frosting #1:
  • 1/2 bag butterscotch chips
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1-2 Tbsp. milk(for thinning)

Combine egg yolk, 1/2 cup milk and brown sugar in a saucepan.
Over Low/Med heat, stir in half the bag of butterscotch chips.
Stir almost constantly until melted and smooth. Mixture will slightly thicken.

In a regular mixing bowl, combine your 2 c. flour, 1 tsp. baking soda and 1/2 tsp. salt.

In an electric mixer, beat 2 egg whites on high with a wire whisk attachment until light and very fluffy.
Transfer to small bowl.

In the same mixer with a regular paddle, cream your butter. Slowly add in 1 cup of sugar and beat together til it is light and fluffy.
Beat in egg yolks, one at a time.

Add together your milk, water and vanilla.

Alternately mix flour mixture and water/milk mixture to the butter/sugar.
Add in by thirds, and mix just until well combined.

Gradually mix in your butterscotch mixture until it's blended.

Fold in egg whites by hand with a spatula.

Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes.

Allow to sit in pan for 10 minutes before you flip out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting. 

While your cakes are cooling make your frostings!

For frosting #1:
  • 1/2 bag butterscotch chips
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1-2 Tbsp. milk(for thinning)

For frosting #2:
  • this recipe
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter beaten to death in at the end.

While frosting #2 is beating beaten, Make frosting #1:

At 20 second intervals in the microwave, melt butterscotch chips.
stir in peanut butter, powdered sugar, and milk as needed for thinning.
Mix very well!


Spread frosting #1 over first layer of cake.
Spread frosting #2 over #1 frosting.
Be generous!

Place second cake layer over, and do the same thing with your frosting #1 and 2, completely frosting the whole cake with all of your #2 frosting.

Store in the refrigerator.



Enjoy :)







1 comment: