Monday, March 5, 2012

Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup


For me and my husbands first date, he took me to an Indian Restaurant called Shalimar.

He surprised me with where we were going. I told him I liked to be adventurous when it comes to food, and we both wanted to go somewhere we hadn't been before.

So, he picks me up, and we go to Portsmouth, one of our favorite places we still often go to for date nights. He made reservations at this place he had never seen before...He just had googled 'Indian Food', and this place popped up. 

When we got there, we were a little surprised to see the place- it was......well, it was definitely not a place we would have gone to if we had seen it ahead of time.

And when we were seated, there were little fruit flies buzzing around us at our table.

Hmmmm.....2 strikes. But those strikes made for good ice breakers, that's for sure, and we had some good laughs about the place and the flies...oh, and the waitress that didn't speak any English. She asked me what I wanted to drink about 6 times before I got what she was saying.


But....


We got our food, and it was DELICIOUS. I had never ever had Indian food, and didn't know what to order and how to eat it, so he helped me and it was all fun and romantical and stuff...We shared each others dishes, and had a super great time. 

If you've ever had Indian food, you know its usually pretty spicy. Which both of us love.

For me, the spicier, the better....

Also, if you've had Indian food, you know it gives you awful breath.

So, let me give you some free advice: Don't go out for your first date at a sketchy Indian food place. At least do a drive by before you make your reservations!


This soup is not Indian. But it is spicy, creamy, flavorful and so delicious!

I didn't exactly measure while I was making it- as I wasn't planning on sharing it originally, but it came out so darn good, I just had to- So the measurements are approximate, but its a very forgiving recipe, so just play around with it til it's how you like!



Creamy Buffalo Chicken Soup
Serves 4

-2 Tbsp. Butter (I used Bestlife)
-2 Tsp. minced garlic (from the jar)
-1/4 onion, diced
-3 oz. fat free cream cheese
-1/2 Cup light ranch dressing
-2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded
-1/2 Cup Franks Hot Sauce
-3-4 Cups milk (I used almond milk )
-1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
-Green Onions for garnish
-salt/pepper to taste if you like

Boil chicken breasts in enough water to cover by an inch or two.
When cooked through, remove from water and shred with a fork in a bowl.
In a large sauce pan, melt butter over med/low, add in onions and cook for one minute.
Add in garlic and cream cheese, stirring until cream cheese is mostly smooth and melted. 
Stir in ranch, and one cup of milk. Bring to a slight boil, then add in hot sauce, chicken, and one more cup of milk.
Cook over medium heat a few minutes so everything is well mixed and nice and creamy.
Add the rest of the milk a bit at a time until you have your desired consistency.
Stir in cheese.
You can also add more ranch or hot sauce to make it taste just how you want.
Continue to cook until broth is smooth and everything is heated through!
Easiest and yummiest soup ever!

Enjoy and Happy Monday!



No comments:

Post a Comment