Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Scrumptious Strawberry Bars


My poor husband was in his office the other day for 7 hours doing taxes.


He started his own company last year, we had the world's cutest baby, and did maaaajor renovations on our house.


Needless to say, our taxes are a bit more complicated and time consuming this year than usual.


After sorting receipts and paperwork for hours, I knew he would be getting hungry. Paperwork is exhausting. I made him these bars, to take a break from the regular crazy chocolate stuff I bake, and I guess he really liked them cause he ate 1/4 of the 9x13 pan!


Either that, or he was so famished, he would have eaten a bowl of worms.


Just kidding.


After eating the first piece, he yells to me from the kitchen: 'WOW THESE ARE SO GOOD!'
And proceeded to go for round two. And three.


They're very refreshing just so darn yummy. Sweet, but not overly sweet. The buttery crust just melts in your mouth. The only thing I would have done differently though its to add 1 to 1 1/2 cups jelly/jam, cause it was a bit scarce. But I think It was just cause my pan I used is a wee bit bigger than a 9x13. It's more like a 10 x 15.
Regardless, these are still super yummy!


Strawberry Almond Bars
3/4 cup butter, softened (I used Bestlife)
3/4 cup powdered sugar, plus more for garnish
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup seedless strawberry or raspberry jam
3 egg whites
6 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup sliced almonds


Pre heat oven to 350.
Beat butter and powdered sugar in an electric mix til light and fluffy.
Gradually add in flour and mix well.
Press the mixture in the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan.




Bake for 18 to 22 minutes, til golden brown.




Spread the jam over the crust, evenly.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg whites until light and fluffy.
Gradually add sugar, one Tbsp and a time, on high.
Gently fold in coconut, and 1/2 cup of almonds.
Evenly and gently spread the meringue over the jam. 
Sprinkle with remaining almonds.
Return to oven and bake for another 18 - 22 minutes or until golden brown.






Cut into squares and sprinkle with confectioners sugar!



Enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment