Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Homemade Pop Tarts


Buying pop-tarts is a thing of the past. 

You can make them in 10 minutes, even with a fussy, over-tired baby on your hip. 

Think about all those nasty Trans fats you're doing without! These things are 6 billion times better than the 10 year old boxed stuff- and they're fun too cause you can make them however you want with whatever fillings you want! Don't you love smart people like me?

I could have been more domesticated and made my own pie crust.....but it's Valentines day. So, that's that.



Homemade Pop-Tarts

1 Box refrigerated Pie crust (2 crusts)
Real fruit jelly of any kind (I used Smuckers Strawberry Naturals)

Glaze:
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Vanilla
10 Drops red dye (to be romantic)
3 Tsp. Milk/Water
SPRINKLES!

Pre-heat oven to 425.

Roll out crust, and with a pizza cutter, cut off the round edges so the dough is a square.
Set edges aside.
Cut dough down the middle, then cut into whatever size rectangles you want.
Place 1-2 tsp. Jelly in the center of rectangle and place another piece on top, pressing edges together with a fork. 
Make sure the edges are sealed all the way, cause of a few of mine weren't and the jelly overflowed a bit out. 
I may have gotten over zealous and tried to put too much jelly inside. 
Whatevs.

Place pop tarts on an ungreased pan and bake for 7-8 minutes, til golden brown.

When cooled, glaze and sprinkle!





2 comments:

  1. I was JUST craving the fake, crap filled pop tarts the other day! I almost gave in to that craving and bought a box, BUT the long list of ingredients stopped me. I put the box back on the shelf. With a tear in my eye.

    YOU have saved me though! I cannot believe you read my mind like this!!!

    I will love you forever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray! they are way yummy, just make sure they cool totally before you eat them-I thought they were best like that...but that's a personal preference!!

    ReplyDelete