Friday, June 22, 2012

Whoopie Pie Cake


When I was little, me and my brother nate would sell whoopie pies at the end of our driveway, every Saturday. EVERY Saturday.


We would be out there at 8 am and sit out there until 12, making bank at 75 cents a whoopie. If our friends slept over the night before, we would drag them outside with us to sell! I'm sure all the adorable charm didn't hurt the sales...


Believe it or not, we actually made decent money...and usually we had a few leftover pies...and got to eat them. Somehow, I never got sick of them.


Lots of people have their own versions, but whenever I have someone else's, it's just not right.


The cookie part is either too cookie-ish, or too cakey and not chocolate-y enough, and the filling usually ends up being a buttercream or something weird that does not belong in a real whoopie pie.


I stand by my mom's recipe, forever and always.


A few days ago I got a hankering for some comfort dessert food. Cinnamon Rolls or Whoopie Pies. I needed one. So I decided to make a Whoopie Pie cake! Brilliant!


The only bad thing is that I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe for the cookie part of the cake, cause the original recipe just wouldn't work...I won't bore you with the details of why, but the filling is straight up authentic! Just like the old days.










Whoopie Pie Cake
Pre-heat oven to 350.


Line 2, 9" round pans with wax paper and grease.


Cake:
2 Cups sugar
1 3/4 Cups AP flour
3/4 Cup Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup milk
1 cup hot, strong coffee
1 cup chocolate chips


Filling:
1 Cup non-hydrogenated shortening
2 Cups powdered sugar
2 Cups Fluff
2 tsp. vanilla


For the cake:
Combine dry ingredients.
Add in eggs, vanilla and applesauce and mix until very well combined.
Pour in hot coffee and mix very well.
Batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pans and sprinkle 1/2 cup chocolate chips into each pan.
Bake for 30-40 minutes- until a toothpick in center comes out clean.


Cool for 10 mintes in pan, then flip out onto a wax paper lined wire rack.
Let cool completely.


For the frosting:
In an electric mixer, combine shortening, fluff and vanilla and beat very well, until fluffy.
Slowly add in powdered sugar so it doesn't puff up anywhere.
Gradually turn up the mixer speed and beat on high until light and fluffy.


Refrigerate until ready to frost cake. When you're ready, fill a ziplock bag with the frosting and cut off large corner.


Put one cake half on a plate. Slowly, and thickly swirl the frosting onto the cake. Top with other half. Eat!
(If you want you can top with a chocolate glaze or ganache- Im lazy so I didn't.)























No comments:

Post a Comment