Friday, September 14, 2012

Apple Crisp Trifle



If you read my little blog, you know I love trifle.

But really, who doesn't?!

It is the perfect combination of all the flavors you want....much more exciting than cake or something.

SO, yesterday I got creative (Well, creative is a strong word- more like I was bored), and had a bag of apples in my fridge that needed to be used up....I get bored of the same old apple pie/apple crisp routine, and even though I love apple pie and apple crisp- sometimes you just need to shake things up!

I set out on a venture. An apple crisp trifle venture that turned out SO GOOD. You will love it

I was afraid the crisp topping layer would get soggy, but over 24 hours later (I just had some) and its still nice and crispy! Woo-hoo! Me and my husband were crazy about this dessert!



Apple Crisp Trifle

For the Crisp Layer:
Pre-heat oven to 350.
Grease a cookie sheet pan.

-2 cups brown sugar
-2 cups rolled oats
-2 cups AP flour
-1 cup butter, melted
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients very well with a large spoon. Finish mixing very well with your hands. Pour into a large cookie sheet pan, and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely.Meanwhile, make the apple layer.

For the Apple Layer:

-1/2 cup butter
-8 tart apples ( I used macintosh) peeled and thinly sliced
-1 TBSP + 1 Tsp. Cornstarch
-1 Cup cold water
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 Tsp. brown sugar
-1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
-1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Over medium heat, melt butter and saute apples. Cook constantly for 6-7 minutes until apples are tender.
Dissolve cornstarch in the cold water, add to skillet of cooked apples and butter. Stir in the brown sugar and spices.Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and cool completely.

For the Whipped Cream Layer:
1 Package instant vanilla pudding
2 Cups whole milk
1, 16 oz container Cool Whip + 1, 8 oz container Cool Whip

Mix pudding mix and milk together according to package directions.
Fold in cool whip.


On the bottom of a trifle dish, spread a layer of the whipped cream, then a layer of the crisp, and a layer of the sauteed apples, and top it off with the the whipped cream layer. Repeat.

Keep going at lease twice with each layer until you have a beautiful, amazing trifle!




Enjoy!

















k

No comments:

Post a Comment