Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Scones


After this, I swear, I'm all done pumpkin...for bit.




I just had to use up the other half of the lonely can of pumpkin I used for the pumpkin dump cake. Sue me.




So, Mr. Husband took the day off from work -which is wonderful- and usually, on days he stays home or goes into work late, I like to cook up a little somethin- somethin for breakfast. I took a risk with these scones, not wanting to take advantage of my pumpkin ban being lifted and all... But while I was scouring the internet for the perfect, not boring breakfast treat, I found this super recipe that is supposedly the knock off Starbucks pumpkin scone recipe.




 Hmmmm....was that a challenge? Naturally, I had to see if they really were that good....






Uh, but then I realized, I've never even had a Starbucks scone. Whatever. I know good when I taste it.






With a few little tweaks, (like adding a cup of chocolate chips because a cup of chocolate chips makes everything wonderfuler), and skipping a couple of the spices (cause I didn't have them on hand), the verdict was:






WOW. 




I served one up to my man, with a side of eggs (cause that makes them healthy) and anxiously watched him take a bite. Then watched him devour the rest of it, the whole time saying: 'Wow, babe- wow.' 'These are so good.' 'Wow....yeah, mmm!' With several more 'wow's, 'mmmm's and a few 'these are amazing's. Yay!




I think it's the glaze that really makes these things over-the-top more delicious than your everyday pumpkin scones.


Whatever it is-I'll be making these things again. and again. and again.


Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Scones
Yields 6 scrumptiously large scones


Pre-heat oven to 425.


2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp.cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 Tbsp. Cream (or milk)
1 Large Egg
6 Tbsp. Butter
1 cup chocolate chips


In a large bowl, add your flour and everything down to your nutmeg. Mix very well.
Cut in with a pastry cutter your butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
In a seperate bowl, combine your pumpkin, cream and egg. Mix very well.
Fold together the two mixtures, and the chocolate chips,mixing well, and forming it into a ball.Your mixture will be a little sticky but If its super super sticky, you can add more flour, a little at a time. You just want it to be manageable, but not dry like a bread dough.
Pat the dough onto a greased and floured baking sheet, in a rectangle that is 1" thick, about 9" long and 3" wide.
With a sharp knife, cut the dough evenly twice, the short way. Then cut each of the rectangles/squares in half diagonally so you have 6 triangles.
Gently spread the scones away from each other about 1/2 inch.


Bake 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Don't over bake or else you will be really sad.


While your scones are baking, prepare the glazes.


For the first glaze:
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Tbsp. Milk (any kind)


For the spiced glaze:
3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1-2 Tbsp. Milk (any kind)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg


When your scones are finished baking, let them cool for 5 minutes, then top with the first glaze. 
Let that glaze harden, then generously top each scone with your spiced glaze.


EAT!





























1 comment:

  1. These look amazing! I looked at this recipe yesterday and being far too lazy to run to the store for pumpkin, I tried another scone recipe. They didn't look or taste as amazing as these appear ... I WILL be buying pumpkin tomorrow to make these!!!!

    Curse Johanna for making me read the post about the pull apart bread ... I'm gaining weight already!!!

    ReplyDelete