Friday, January 6, 2012

Yummiest Overnight French Toast


I wish I had a servant to cook me breakfast.


I'm working on training my husband dear.........but it's not going too well.



His idea of waking up early and making breakfast is a trip to the diner or dunkin donuts.



And we all know there's nothing better than waking up to a nice, cold, stale dd's donut on the counter in the morning.


Don't get me wrong- I adore dunkin's. And they're donuts make me so happy. Especially the ones stuffed with frosting.




But there's something about waking up to the smell of fresh baked breakfast deliciousness. And everything tastes so much better when I don't have to cook it!!! 




Is that a universal wife/mom thing? It could be toast..........and if I didn't have to make it, I will devour it and savor every bite like it's the best tiramisu or cannoli ( I love tiramisu and cannoli) that was ever created.




It's times like these, I wish growing up I didn't take for granted my mom cooking us amazing breakfasts almost every morning.



I should give my husband a little credit though. He sometimes makes me pancakes with chocolate chips in them.



He is the best pancake maker, by the way.



The closest I can come to waking up to amazing fresh-baked goodness is when I do an overnight casserole. You just pop it in the oven, turn on the coffee maker, and jump back into bed til the timer beeps. GOOD MORNING!



And have you ever thought about how casserole is the grossest word?!




And this casserole is the grossest looking thing you ever saw. But this baked breakfast thing is faaaaar from gross. It's a complete 180 from it.



And I wish you could make it with the bread I made mine with....But It's not at every store. It's like a cranberry oatmeal pecan bread. oh myyyy is it good.
Any 1 1/2 inch bread slices of bread will do though and it will still be the best baked french toast ever.




And.........Just kidding. That's all.

Overnight French Toast

serves 12

1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 loaf of french bread, or any kind of sturdy bread
8 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. vanilla
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Combine butter and brown sugar and pour in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.

Arrange slices of bread over the butter and sugar. It's okay if they overlap.

Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Pour evenly over bread.

Sprinkle pecans on top.

Bake for 30-35 minutes. Loosely cover with tin foil for the last 5 to 10 minutes if the top is browning too quickly.


Enjoy almost waking up to breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment