Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Granloa Bars


So remember a few posts ago I was saying those things about my husband? You know, the stuff about him exercising and eating healthy and all that?

Well, he's actually been doing pretty good! So I made these for him, and they are so so yummy! Easily the best homemade granola bars I ever had...and even better then ones I've had from the store!

Usually for his lunches, I'll pack him some Cliff bars to munch on for a snack or whatever....but those things are pricey! So I set out to make my own granola bars, but ones that actually taste good and are moist. I don't know if this is a common problem, but I feel like when I make granola bars they come out crumbly and just not that yummy. So many of them have oil in them too and I'm just not that into oil in my granola bars. 

I got this basic recipe from Smitten Kitchen and made a few tweaks.
They came out perfectly moist and candy-bar like! Yay!
And the best thing about these bars, is you can add whatever you want for nuts and dried fruit and all that stuff.
So be creative!



Granola Bars
Makes 8-12 bars, depending on size 

Pre-heat oven to 350
Line an 8x8x2 pan with parchment paper or foil and lightly grease.

1 2/3 Cups instant oats
1/2 Cup sugar
1/3 Cup ground up oats (either in a magic bullet, blender or food processor)
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/4 Tsp. ground cinnamon
2 to 3 Cups dried fruit (I used raisins and dried cranberries)
2/3 Cup chocolate chips 
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (Or Almond butter)
2 Tsp. Vanilla
6 Tbsp. Melted Butter
1/3 Cup Honey or Agave Nectar ( I did about half of each)
1 Tbsp. Water

Mix together oats, sugar, ground oats, salt, cinnamon and dried fruit.
Whisk together melted butter and vanilla and sweetener and water.
Toss wet and dry ingredients together and add peanut butter. 
Mix together until well combined and press evenly and firmly into the bottom of your prepared pan.
Bake bars for 30-35 minutes.
I wanted mine really chewy, so I did 30 minutes...the edges should be lightly browned.

Let them sit in the pan til they are cool.
Place them in the refrigerator for about an hour so they cut easier.
When you are ready to cut them, take the bars out of the pan by lifting the parchement paper or foil out and placing it on a flat surface.



Cut into desired size, and if you want, drizzle with melted chocolate. 
I realize the chocolate part isn't healthy, but I don't care. It's makes for optimal yummy-ness.

When the chocolate hardens, I wrap them individually in foil and throw them in the fridge or freezer to take out as Mr. husband needs them.



Enjoy!













No comments:

Post a Comment