Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Oatmeal Creme Pie Cookies (little debbie knockoff)



I'm all about eating something at a restaurant, or out of a box, and seeing if I can re-create it.


For 2 reasons: 
1- I can probably make it a lot healthier and home.
2- I like a good challenge.


The other day I realized after being married to my guy for almost 3 years, I didn't know what his favorite dessert was! When I asked him, his answer surprised me. "Cookies. My weakness is cookies. I just can't say no!"


"What kind?" I asked.


"All of them. Any kind. But especially the Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme ones."


Ahhhh yes! I have fond memories of those babies. Oatmeal Cremes and Fudge Rounds. 


Growing up, my mom almost never bought pre-packaged stuff. Everything was homemade. The bread, donuts, muffins, and although she would buy cereal sometimes ( something way not sugary, like grape nuts or plain cheerios), she would often times make us granola instead. So when I finally started making my own money by babysitting, I would buy a box of little debbies, and down the whole thing in one sitting. Making up for a childhood deprived of little debbie? Maybe....Ugh. I gross myself out.
And I thought I was the only one who did such gluttonous things- until I met my husband.


He grew up very differently from me, and pre-packaged foods like that were a part of his everyday life.


When he confessed his undying love for oatmeal cremes, he then proceeded to tell me how when he lived in LA he would buy a box and down it in one sitting. It was comfort food.


I knew we were soul mates!!!!


So, here came the challenge: Make little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies that actually TASTE like Little Debbies. I refuse to buy that packaged crap unless it's for a public gathering where no one cares and is involved in making a recipe type of a thing. But buying the box just for our consumption? I'm a snob- what can I say?


This recipe tastes just like them. 
You will die.
But before you go, make sure to thank the good Lord for taste buds. Yes and amen.






Oatmeal Creme Pies
Pre-heat oven to 350.


1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 Tbsp. molasses
2 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal


Filling:
2 cups Fluff
1 cup non-hydrogenated shortening (or regular, but that stuff is naaasty)
1 1/2- 2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla


In the bowl of a mixer, on medium-high beat together butter, sugars, molasses and vanilla and eggs, til light and fluffy.


Combine flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.


Turn mixer to low and slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture.


Stir just until combined!


Fold in oatmeal by hand. Don't get crazy with the mixing, here.


Drop tablespoon sized scoops into waxed paper lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.


Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are just lightly browned.


Do not over bake, whatever you do- I found 10 minutes was just perfect!


Let cool on sheet for a minutes or two before removing to a wire cooling rack.


For the filling:
Add all ingredients together in electric mixer and mix on high until light and fluffy!


For easy filling, place a large ziplock bag in a large mug or deep bowl, and dump filling in.


Snip off a corner of the bag and generously swirl filling easily onto a cookie bottom, and top off with another cookie.




Enjoy!








1 comment:

  1. Forgive me, what is the 2 cups of Fluff in the filling recipe?

    ReplyDelete