Monday, February 13, 2012

Red Velvet Pancakes


Happy Valentines day!!

I'm not a big valentines day person, but I'm not gonna lie...I won't turn down a nice date, a big box of chocolates or a dozen roses.

All or one of those things is just fine by me anytime.

My husband is very thoughtful though, and regularly  surprises me with flowers and we have monthly date nights- So I've decided to keep him.
Also, He has this thing for red velvet...like for our wedding he really wanted our cake to be red velvet. So it was, and it was super duper yummy and moist and wonderful.

 Just the one thing I can't get past is the dye factor.

But, being valentines day, everything you eat must be either pink and red, and have chocolate in it. So we'll just not think about anything except love and flowers and rainbows.

I did cut back on the recipe though, doing only 1 tsp. of dye instead of 2!

This recipe makes a lot of pancakes. Well, a lot for me and Mr. Husband dear.
I ended up with about 12 normal sized pancakes- not those super lame silver dollar sized things. But you could easily halve the recipe... I wouldn't recommend it though. You will want all 12.
These are the perfect way to start out your day with the love of your life! And even more perfect if you top them with mom's hot fudge sauce. Seriously. The 2 of them should be married. 

Red Velvet Pancakes
Makes about 12 normal sized pancakes

Mix together:
2 Cups Flour
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1 Tsp. Salt
6 Tbsp. Sugar
4 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder

In another bowl, combine:
2 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
1/2 Cup Sour cream, or yogurt
1 Tsp. Red Food Coloring
4 Tsp. Vanilla Extract

1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup White Chips 
(Obviously you can do more of either kind of chip if you so desire)

Combine two mixtures together, fold in Chocolate and White chips.
Pour about 1/3 Cup batter into a heated (on medium/high) and greased pan.
I sprinkled extra chips onto my pancakes after I poured the batter. And I don't regret it one bit.

Flip over when underside is lightly browned.

Serve up with hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, or syrup.
 Enjoy, and have a Happy Valentines Day :)






No comments:

Post a Comment