Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Dark Salted Caramel and Chocolate Pie



Today I am more thankful than usual for this gorgeous weather and the shining sun.




If it were not so beautiful and promising out, I might have stayed in bed all day, frustrated and tired, and eaten lots of Ben & Jerry's ice cream, and watched lots of Friends re-runs in my jammies.




It's been a battle lately with my daughter. She doesn't sleep through the night....Waking up 6-8 times is normal. And although I haven't been worried about it, and bringing her into bed with us in the middle of the night doesn't particularly bother me  (she keeps me warm and I'm sure this won't go on forever where she's in high school climbing in bed with us), I need her to sleep for my sanity.


I am going insane.


I am sleep deprived.


I am a crazy person.


So yesterday, I was ready. Ready to do whatever it took to train her to sleep for the night. She's a pretty smart cookie (who doesn't think their child is?) so I know she'll catch on pretty quick. I'm just learning, that the thing with parenting is that you have to outlast your children.


Dang is it hard!!!




I got all amped up to do this thing all day yesterday, borrowed a pack and play crib from my mom, set it up in our living room and got all camped out on the couch, ready for the battle. 


I decided it was best to do this thing in the living room so my husband could at least get some sleep....




UGH.


It was a looooooooong night. I have a STUBBORN child.


But, I do feel victorious in that I made it through the night on my mission and didn't give in like I thought might happen. Each time she woke up, I snuggled her back to sleep, or just patted her back and sang to her, but REFUSED to let her come sleep with me. 


Sounds easy. But when Its 2:30 in the morning, and all you can think about is sleep, it's quite possibly a most excellent form of torture.




But, when I woke up for the 7,000th time for the day, I couldn't help but be happy at the pretty sunshine coming through my windows....thank you Jesus! 


I made a FULL pot of coffee (instead of the usual 4-6 cups for me and Mr. husband), opened the fridge to find some breakfast makings, and remembered that I had pie from last night! 






I think I deserved it- it is quite possibly the best pie I have had in a while. I'm not a pie person, I'd totally have cake any day over pie (it's the love for frosting I have), but I this pie might actually compete with cake!


It was a little invention that turned out quite fabulously (love that!) and I really hope you make it...


My husband loved it. I loved it. And it made everything in our little world, right again.




Hopefully tonight is a little better....


Salted Caramel and Chocolate Pie
For the Crust:
Pre-heat oven to 350



  • 2 rows from 1 box of Keebler Simply Sandies cookies (about 12 cookies)
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/4 Cup melted butter
In either a blender or food processor, crush cookies into fine crumbs. Add sugar and butter and combine.
Press into a 9 inch pie plate and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
Let cool completely.
White crust is baking/cooling, make your dark caramel sauce.

For the Caramel:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 6 Tablespoons salted butter 
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. Heavy Cream
  • 1 tsp.+ course sea salt
Melt the sugar over medium heat in 2 to 3 quart pot...Larger than you think you will be needing!
Whisk and stir constantly to ensure even heating, until it reaches a nice, deep copper color.
Add the butter all at once, and continue stirring.
When Butter is melted, turn down the heat to low, and add cream.
It will foam and bubble a lot, but keep stirring until you get a nice, smooth sauce.
Add in salt. I used probably about 2 tsp. cause really wanted to taste it. WOW!
Try your very best to not eat all of it.

Pour all the caramel over your crust, except for a couple tablespoons for garnish. Let cool and then place in the freezer for a couple hours til caramel is completely hard. Or, just stick it in while the caramel is still hot. *guilty*

When frozen, make your chocolate layer.

For the Chocolate Layer:
  • 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 Tbsp. butter or shortening
Place chips and choice of fats into a microwave safe bowl, melting at 30 second intervals, stirring til smooth.

Spread over frozen caramel layer.

Stick back in the freezer for 20 minutes.
  • Top with a 16 oz. Tub of Cool Whip, and drizzle with the caramel set aside earlier!


Enjoy! (you will)










No comments:

Post a Comment