Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ham, Cheese and Asparagus Rolls (Major comfort food!!)



Last night we had an old friend over for dinner...


When we have company over, I usually make something tried and true, so I know it will come out yummy and everyone will love it and be happy. Cause I'm pretty sure there is nothing worse than having company over and making something bad. It's the equivalent of peeing your pants in public.


But, I was living on the edge last night.


I've discovered this new sight: kayotic kitchen and safe to say, I'm in love! Seriously, this lady is my hero.
So I took one of her recipes, and with a few tweaks, made it my own....


I knew it would most likely be a hit, cause it's basically 3 kinds of cheese, ham, potatoes and asparagus. I mean come on...How can you go wrong?!


It was a hit! *sigh of relief*


It is so cheesy, gooey and full of deliciousness that makes you feel like you're back at home in your momma's kitchen in a big, comfy sweatshirt. You can literally feel this dish hug you while you eat it.
What, your food doesn't hug you?


We all loved it....and the great thing about this dish is its pretty versatile. You don't have to do asparagus on top- you can change it out for whatever vegetable strikes your fancy...endive, zucchini, squash, broccoli. OR you could even do cooked chicken. Now THAT would be a hearty meal! 


Bottom line: MAKE THIS TONIGHT AND YOU WILL BE SO POPULAR WITH YOUR FAMILY.


Ham, Cheese and Asparagus Rolls over Gooey Potatoes
Serves 4-6



  • 1 bunch of asparagus
  • 5 medium potatoes
  • 1/2 cup milk (I used plain Almondmilk)
  • 2 Tbsp. butter, or Smart Balance
  • 1-2 Tbsp. Mustard (adjust to taste)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 tsp.Tuscan seasoning 
  • 1 1/2 Cups cubed cheddar and pepperjack cheese (or whatever you have on hand, but these two were perfect!)
  • 12 slices provolone (or, again, whatever you want)
  • 12 slices deli ham
Peel, wash and cut your potatoes into quarters.
Fill a pot with salted water to cover potatoes and bring to a boil for about 20-25 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400.
In another pan, boil your asparagus for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Cut your cheeses (not the slices) into 1/2 inch size cubes.
When potatoes are fork tender, transfer to an electric mixer, and with whisk attachment until smooth.
Add in milk, butter, mustard, and tuscan seasoning. Salt and pepper to taste.
Mix on high until light and whipped.
Stir in cheese cubes.
Spread into a casserole dish. I used a round one...you can use anywhere from a 9x9" dish to a 9x13" dish. Whatever you want to do will work. I suggest a smaller dish though.



Okay, now that I'm done my speech about what dish you use, you can start wrapping your asparagus.
Lay out 2 slices of provolone, and 2 slices of ham on top.
Lay out 4 or 5 asparagus spears, and roll up.
Place seam side down on your potatoes.



Bake in pre-heated oven for 25 minutes. 

                                        
Enjoy!!!















1 comment:

  1. Im already pretty popular with my family but i just might have to try these anyway

    ReplyDelete